Wednesday 12 September 2012

What Google "autocomplete" Recommends in Japan from A to Z - Part 1

After the "What Google 'autocomplete' Recommends in Malaysia from A to Z", I searched for the Japan info on the topic. It seems that, on March 2012, Google was ordered by a Japanese court to delete certain terms from autocomplete. This was due to a court case which involved an unidentified man who was concerned that typing in his name linked him with crimes he was not involved with. However, according to the news article, Google said it was reviewing the order, they haven't carried out the court's request. 

Well, anyway, the result of 'autocomplete' for Japan surprised me, I was very unfamiliar with most of the stuffs.

alphabetchampionfirst runner-upsecond runner-up
AamazonANAアメブロ
Bビックカメラベルメゾン番組表
C地図知恵袋チケットぴあ
Dドコモディズニーランドディズニーシー
E映画駅探えきねっと
FFacebookフェイスブックフジテレビ
Ggmailgoogleグリー
Hフェイスブック翻訳ヘルタースケルター
IIphone5Ikea一休
JじゃらんJAL地震
Kクックパッド価格ケンタッキー
LlineLivedoorlinkedin
Mmixiマクドナルドmsn
N乗り換え案内乗り換えニコニコ
Oオリンピックオリンピック日程大島優子
PpixivポケモンポケモンBW2
QqvcQRコードQBハウス
R楽天楽天トラベルライン
Sスカイマークスカイツリー佐川急便
T天気予報天気Twitter
U海猿UFJ内田篤人
Vvisavipperヴァンガード
Wワンピースワンピース展ワタシプラス
Xxperiaxperia gxXperia SX
Yyahooyoutube郵便番号
Zじゃらん地震辞書
data taken on 11th September 2012

For alphabet 'A', I was surprised that AKB48 was not in top 3. Almost all the Japanese I knew love AKB48, no matter male or female.

For alphabet 'D', the first search was ドコモ docomo, the top telecom service provider in Japan. It was the same with Malaysia, where the top search for 'D' was Digi (a telecom company too!). Then, it was followed by Disneyland ディズニーランドデ and DisneySea ディズィーシー. Japanese love Disneyland, Mickey mouse and Minnie mouse. I once read an article about young mothers in Japan (getting married after got pregnant, very young, secondary school age), they will save for everything to maintain the household expenses, but they are willing to splurge on the trip to Disneyland for their child. Mother!

For 'E', first place was movie 映画, followed by Ekitan 駅探 and eki-net えきねっと. Ekitan is a website to check train timetable, while Eki-net is a JR east online portal (can book tickets for shinkansen and express train).

For 'F', the champion is Facebook, same with almost all the other countries. For 'H', translate service is in the top three.

For 'M', mixi is a social networking sites, it includes lots of stuffs. One can even writes blog and product reviews. The マクドナルドis Japanese word for McDonald's. Mmmm, two of the US chain restaurants in top 3, which are McDonald's and Kentucky Fried Chicken. Japanese loves fast food! I am not a fan though. When I went to McDonald's in Malaysia, I ordered McD chicken porridge, I just don't like the burgers and fries. My Japanese colleagues love Kentucky very much though.

For 'N', the top two searches are about train route and timetables in Japan. This make me think of a poster by JapanTourist.jp in Facebook, "The Tokaido Shinkansen has an annual average delay of 0.6 minutes - Late? we don't know the meaning of late." So funny and so true!

Although Olympic was over, it was still in the top 2 searches for 'O'.

For 'P', pixiv is a online community for artists, users can contribute their own artworks, leave comments, rate contributions, etc. It seems interesting, the website is full of manga. Followed at number two is Pokemon, a Japanese Anime, ahhhhh, I love the anime. I used to watch it during my secondary school times.

For 'R', it is Rakuten, an online electronic commerce company. For my travel inside Japan, I used Rakuten to book hotels and bus tickets. My ticket back Malaysia was bought here too since I don't have credit card and with Rakuten, one can pay in convenience store.

For 'S', a Japanese no-frill airline "Skymark" is in the top.

For 'T', weather forecast is in the top. When Japanese talk, one of the frequent topics is weather. Hahaha, just like Malaysian on food.

For 'U', 海猿 is a movie series and anime and dramas about Japan coast guard rescue diver. I watched one of the movie, very good!

For 'W', "One piece" is the champion. A very long running and popular manga. I had 2 "one piece" puzzles!

For 'X', well at least Sony smartphones are still in Japanese heart. All the top three searches were sony phones.

For 'Y', "yahoo" is the top. Well, for search engine, most of my Japanese colleagues still prefer yahoo to Google.

Last but no least, 'Z', "じゃらん - jalan.net" a website to book hotel, tour and everything related to trips. I was mistaken at first, I thought it was a Indonesian or Malaysian website, but it is a totally Japanese website. But, according to Wikipedia, they took the name from Indonesian. So, it clears the mystery.

Wow, the top 3 searches for Japan is very different from the Malaysia top 3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment