Sunday 30 June 2013

Winter Holiday in Hokkaido (9) - Tomamu Hoshino Resort 星野リゾート トマム

6th January 2013

The last destination of my trip, the Tomamu Hoshino Resort (星野リゾート トマム). Most of my friends joined this trip for this place. I knew this place from another friend who went to Hokkaido just for this Hoshino Resort, she went to Sapporo on Saturday morning flight, stayed for the night and return to Tokyo on Sunday night.Well, one of the reasons we chose 6th January to go there because that day was Sunday and was the last day of the winter holiday, the price was cheaper! if my memory serves me correctly, the accommodation for the night costs around 14000 yen per person, we stayed in double room. However, I think 14000 yen is not so expensive, considering the sumptuous dinner and breakfast thrown in with the package.

Since no normal train was available, we used express train to go to Tomamu from Obihiro. Tamamu Station is a small unmanned station. So surprise when we got out of the train's car and the Hoshino Resort's staff was waiting there to greet us. Well, I think the only people who will stop at this station are Hoshino Resort's guests, or staffs. It is a very remote place. The resort pick up bus services coinciding with the JR train schedules. The weather was not so good, the cold wind and strong snow fall made me felt chilly the whole time.

Hoshino Resort is a ski resort during winter. There are many things to do other than skiing. I tried the banana boat (on snow though), snow motor, etc. I forgot what is the name of the activities. Two of my friends initially wanted to try fishing (dig a small hole on the layer of ice and fish), however they back off after knowing that before reaching the lake, have to hike for 3 hours. Another reminder though, remember to bring money for those activities, all the snow activities are not free of charge. The person in charge of all the activities would bring us to take photographs with the Tamamu Twin Tower for every snow activities. Haha, the proof we have been there.
snow activity
snow activity
snow activity
soup curry
After all those exhausting activities, onsen time. We went to the resort's indoor beach building and went straight to the onsen pool! Then, we went to the outdoor onsen, soaking in the hot onsen water and enjoying the view of falling snow, so nice 気持ちいい!

Onsen was so warming. After onsen, felt hungry. So, off to dinner. We chose a buffet style restaurant with our dinner coupon. The food was so delicious and varied. Eating until very full. However, I filled my stomach mostly with desserts.
buffet for dinner
Then, went to the Ice Village where every buildings there were made of ice. So lucky, if we went on November, the weather was not cold enough for the buildings to be built. Timing is important! It was so beautiful and special with all the igloos and illuminations. We went to the Ice Chapel and Ice Bar. I had a glass of very expensive drinks there.
Ice Village
Ice Village
In the Ice Bar, the stools, alcohol glasses, tables are all made of ice. Special!
Ice Bar
Ice Bar
Then, another very interesting activity called 'snowflake replica making'. One of my friends decided to try that. First, have to catch some snowflakes outside the igloo, then pick a few snowflakes and put it into a mold, then resin is poured inside the mold, wait until the resin harden, the snowflakes will be preserved in the resin. I remembered that in a scene from 'The Electric Can Opener Fluctuation of The Big Bang Theory' , Leonard gave Penny a preserved snowflakes mold. It was so romantic. However, my friend's snowflakes mold was not successful. Anyway, it's a good experience.
making pendant using snowflakes and resin
Another attraction in Ice Village was the Ice Chapel. It was actually open for couples who wished to get married there. Ah, what a special place to get married. Mmm, however, the bride have to wear something thick and cover everything to keep warm. Or else.......
Ice Chapel
After visiting the beautiful Ice Village, went back to the hotel room for the night. Again, we gathered and talked. After so many days traveling, felt sad because had to go back to work and to say good bye to my travel buddies.

Before checked out the next day, had breakfast in another beautiful restaurant. Very nice view!
a very expansive view from the interior of the restaurant
I had two fried eggs because it has been a long time since I had fried eggs for breakfast. Normally, I had Japanese breakfast, raw egg into steamy white rice. Haha!
western breakfast
the view along the corridor from the tower to the restaurant
the morning view
Along the glass corridor, I could see the snowflakes stuck to the glass, it was such a beautiful scene. I kept trying to snap the photos until almost missed the bus to airport. Finally, I got a few good photos of snowflakes.
snowflakes stuck to the glass corridor
Bid farewell to Tomamu and left for Sapporo New Chitose Airport. There are so many shops in the New Chitose Airport, I bought some dried scallop (very expensive, it costs me 12000 yen) and a cheese cake. The cake is really delicious. I went to a Doraemon cafe too. I like Doraemon, I think that was the first Japanese anime that I watched when I was a kid. 

Finally, went home with the thought "Ah, tomorrow have to work!".
Doraemon Cafe
drinks with characters from Doraemon
Then, there is a cute chocolate museum. Snapped photos until my battery almost gone.
chocolate making steps
There are a lot of things that one can buy from Hokkaido, the only downside is spending too much money!
souvenirs for myself!
Day 1 & 2: Hakodate
Day 7 & 8: Obihiro

No comments:

Post a Comment