Saturday 8 September 2012

Ajimu Wine Festival in USA 安心院フェア「葡萄酒祭り2012」

8th September 2012

My friend told me about a Wine Festival in USA 宇佐, I don't drink alcohol, so I was not so interested to go. However, after he told me about a visit to grape farm, I decided to go because I have never seen a grape vine before.

We drove to Ajimu 安心院 (in Usa 宇佐, Oita Prefecture), the venue for the festival. Since no parking spaces were allocated near the venue (Ajimu Family Village), shuttle bus services were provided from  designated parking areas. Once we reached, we quickly went to a booth to apply seats for the bus to a grape farm for grape plucking activity. We wanted the 11.30am slot, however, it was full. So, we asked for the 12.30pm slot.

Ajimu Wine Festival 安心院フェアワインまつり2012
Then, we went to another ticket selling counter to buy a glass (required) and coupons (for wine and grape juice). There were 4 types of glass, I bought a glass featuring a sumo wrestler 力士. Other 3 glasses just featured the wordings for the festival, not so good looking.

the glass featured a famous sumo wrestler 双葉山定次
(from Usa, Oita)
I bought two 100 yen coupons. One glass of juice costs 100 yen, while wine costs 200 yen per glass. I drank two cups of the grape juices, nothing special about the juice though. Coupons for steak were available too for 1800 yen too. The beef used in the steak came from Oita. A lot of people were queuing up to buy the steak. According to the organiser, the steak was best paired with the Ajimu wine. Again, I don't drink alcohol and I don't eat beef. So, I gave it a pass.
wine bar in Ajimu wine festival
TV crews covering the Ajimu Wine Festival (the man on right hand side is おすぎ, a film critic)
performances associated with the wine festival
a grape farm near the Ajimu Family Village 
Then, suddenly it started to rain cats and dogs. So, we were worried that the grape plucking activity was going to be cancelled, luckily, the rain stopped right before 12.30pm. We just hopped into the bus and it brought us to the wine farm, Ajimu Farm 安心院農園. Actually, the farm is open from August every year for wire plucking activity 葡萄狩り直売. Anyway, the entrance is free and they will provide free tasting. One just pays for everything he or she cuts. The auntie there told us that if we came on early August, then we could taste all the 40 types of grapes available there. Now, September, so only a few types are still available.
clean the shoes before entering
Before entering, all have to clean the shoes by stepping into a bin with course mat. Then, I got a paper bag and scissors. The owner will explain about the grape types and free tasting was given. This was the first time I ate grapes freshly cut from vine. I felt that it was firmer compared to the one sold in supermarket. Probably it was due to the grape species. I bought some grapes without seeds.
around the farm
different species of grapes
After the farm visit, we went back home after lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment