Friday 3 August 2012

Strong Wind in Japan (3rd April 2012)

strong wind!

I still remembered in the old Cantonese TVB drama, everybody would rush home after typhoon alert. I was still a kid then, the only thought that came to my mind was "how nice, can go home, don't need to work!". So, when my company HR personnel briefed me about the rules and regulations for Japan factory, I was surprised to hear that unless there are no train services, normally it will be work as normal even if there are typhoon, earthquake, etc. Well, it was true though. After one and a half year here in Japan, I never got that kind of holiday.


Then, when I read "Japan Today" on a fine morning, I was surprised to read that "Kanto workers urged to go home early ahead of typhoon strength winds". I quickly e-mailed my buddies in Tokyo. They said that there was directive yet. However, they were allowed home after lunch time. Although the winds were strong in Kumamoto too, my side still work as usual. My friends said that it was quite scary, one friend said that from the gushing sound of the winds and the way it banged the doors and windows, she felt that her apartment would going to break apart. Luckily, everyone were safe and sound.

When I went back home that day using the JR train, the crowd was less than usual, I thought that maybe some companies in Kumamoto area also let their employees left earlier. The most unbelievable thing was I thought that I saw birds flown away by the strong winds just outside my balcony. I hoped they were ok.

The strong winds caused trains, flights, ships, etc to be delayed or cancelled. Although Kyushu area was not as serious as Kanto area, My boss was stuck in the train for hours for a 1.5 hours train ride. He said that although it was a "express train", the train moved so slow. At the end, he reached his destination late and had to miss his appointment. When I saw TV news that night, a lot of people had to spend the night elsewhere because they couldn't get on the train before it was cancelled. 大変な!

I was sleeping soundly on my bed that night, hahahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment