Saturday 25 August 2012

Heatstroke - Summer 2012

Read news about JR bullet train delayed caused by driver suffering from heatstroke and more than 20000 people taken to hospital for heatstroke. It was so unbelievable to me. I mean, Malaysia is a tropical country, but I had never heard of anyone hospitalised due to heatstroke. But, it was big in Japan! (^_^;)

There were advertisements in TV on how to stay cool, malls and supermarkets stock a lot of 'cool biz' products, even my company website has a notice on "how to avoid heatstroke". 

For me, the ways to avoid heatstroke are
  1. wear loose clothing
  2. stay indoors when it is not working day
  3. if I have to go out, I will go out after 6pm
  4. drink water (plenty of it!)
2 weeks ago, I went to a summer festival in Kokura 小倉わっしょう百万夏祭り. There were a lot of people and I saw some government officials handout something to the public. So, I went over there (busybody!!) to see what was that.
officials raising banners to remind people to prevent heatstroke
The handouts were pamphlets to educate people about heatstroke, cooling pack and plastic hand fan. 
Pamphlet (how to prevent heatstroke)
Pamphlet (the countermeasure for heatstroke)
instant cooling pack (Lotte)
cute hand fans for cooling down (got it free from different places)

※ Only know about the existence of instant cooling pack 2 weeks ago after receiving it! and googled about the mechanism of the cooling pack, it was a very clever use of thermodynamic, hahahah!

No comments:

Post a Comment