Friday 24 August 2012

Vending Machines in Japan 日本の自動販売機

One of the very common sights in Japan is the vending machines. You can find it everywhere and anywhere, even in the middle of a jungle or mountain. Within walking distance from my apartment, there are 3 vending machines. All drinks. My apartment area is residential area (low density type), so initially I thought that it was too much, however, it is not too much! I actually saw people coming out from their house and bought a bottled drink or can, finished it, threw the bottle/can into recycle bin and went back to their house! I was so surprised! The drinks from the vending machine are not cheap, it starts from 100 yen to 160 yen (depends on the brand or type). The same bottle in a supermarket will cost from 65 yen to 120 yen only. I will only buy from vending machine when I was travelling or outstation.
vending machine 自動販売機
At home, I will drink boiled water. I bought 1.5 litres bottle drink and drank it too, but this was not so environmentally friendly! (it was cheaper in in terms of volume compared to the 500 millilitres bottled drinks , in the supermarket, coca cola / pepsi cost around 170 yen; my favourite drink Calpis around 180 yen; tea from 90 yen to 200 yen)  For work, I will bring the boiled water in Thermos flask. My colleagues were surprised with my habit. They don't boiled the water for drinking. The boiled water only for making hot drinks. They drank the pipe water directly. I think this is because Malaysian pipe water is not fit for drinking without the boiling? Anyway, in my company, there are around 7 vending machines for drinks and food. When my colleagues were thirsty, they would just buy from the vending machines.

After the March 11 earthquake, the vending machines have to undergo series of electricity saving actions. The lightings were reduced or off. The normally cold drinks were warm due to the cooler off for power saving (heard from my friend in Tokyo, Kyushu not affected though).

  • Half of the drinks sold in Japan were from vending machines
  • the yearly revenue from vending machines were more than ¥2 trillion
  • The first vending machine for bottled drinks was introduced by Coca-Cola in 1961
  • By 1967, vending machine for can drinks was introduced
  • In 1973, hot drinks started to be sold (Pokka) - however, it was either cold or hot only.
  • In 1977, Pokka introduced the hot and cold drinks vending machines (the modern vending machines)
Special Vending Machine
Vending machine for battery (in Sakaiminato 境港)
Vending machine for Häagen-Dazs ice cream (in Kyoto京都)
vending machine for rice!
1st December 2013: Update vending machine for rice

1 comment: