Sunday 1 November 2015

University of Malaya Convocation 2015

19th & 20th October 2015

Two of my younger brothers were having their graduation last month, one on 19th October and another on 20th October. Since I took leave for both days, I volunteered to become their photographer on their graduation days. Since we reside at Selangor, it's not far from UM, but not that near either, if one stuck at Federal Highway, it would be so near, yet so far. So, We left the house at 5.30am and reached UM before 6.30am, normally during non peak hour at afternoon, the trip would normally take two hours. If peak hour at the morning, give or take around three hours. Well, my family would rather reached early than stuck at the traffic jam, so, we left early.

The graduates were instructed to gather at the designated area by 7.30am, since parents were not allowed in that early, I accompanied my parents to have breakfast at one of the food stalls manned by the various societies or colleges in UM. After that, my parents enter the DTC, while I waited outside.
Dewan Tunku Canselor of University of Malaya (DTC)
Parents queueing up to enter DTC
Graduates and family members leaving the DTC after the convocation ceremony
To my surprise, one could watch the live streaming of the convocation ceremony at one of the tent next to the DTC. Quite useful, one graduate could only get two invitation cards. The other family members that tagged along would have to kill time by loitering around without this live streaming. For me, the most important thing was to find a seat to sit down. However, the air conditioner was too strong, even though I came prepared with a cardigan, it's still too cold for me, so I waited there until I saw my brothers got their scrolls. After that, I just found a seat outside DTC and read the book I brought along. However, the weather was really not nice, the two days were really hazy, but I couldn't stand the cold inside the tent.

Personally, when I watched the ceremony, I think the most memorable and heart warming moment was when the blind graduates got their scroll. It's really a very touching moment. I felt that my eyes were watery. 
Live streaming of the convocation ceremony
Initially, I wanted to visit the convocation stalls, but another surprise here, there's were no outside stalls, apart from the flowers and soft toys stalls. When I was a undergraduate here, the atmosphere of the convocation in the university was very much alive. There're many stalls selling many kinds of items, ranging from food, computer stuffs, etc. It was quite fun visiting all the stalls years ago. We didn't buy flowers from outside, just directly bought from the flower stall next to DTC. It's not that expensive, one bouquet with three African Daisy and a small bear soft toy was around RM45, quite reasonable. I bought it in the morning, then I left the flower bouquet with the seller and took it after the graduates left the DTC after the ceremony. It's quite a burden to take the bouquet along for few hours. 

I followed my brother to take his photos, photos with his friends, course-mates, juniors from same course and juniors from residential college. It was very crowded and I was quite tired actually and yelling at my heart, I am too old for this. I think for the two days as the part time photographer, I have done my entire year of  physical activities. 

Anyway, we took our family portraits at the convocation's photo studio in the university too. It's easy and convenient. The price was a bit more expensive than the outside studio, but convenience trumps everything. After the convocation ceremony, both my brothers directly returned the academic attire, failure to do so before the dateline can result in penalty. So, to avoid any hassle, they did things the simplest way. 

One of the activities that made the lively atmosphere was the part where the juniors congratulating the graduating seniors by making the banners and came out to support the seniors. After toiling for the degree for years, it must be a very proud moment. Hahaha!
Juniors congratulating the graduating seniors
Juniors congratulating the graduating seniors
Juniors congratulating the graduating seniors
Juniors congratulating the graduating seniors - even dragon came out!
Below are the photos of the flower bouquet that one could get from the flower stall, even customized soft toy with the logo of the university. I saw some people were taking the bouquet of small soft toys without any single flower in it. I think that was better! (*^_^*)
flower bouquet
flower bouquet
flower bouquet

No comments:

Post a Comment