Sunday 15 November 2015

Backstreet Café (Banting)

14th November 2015

I am not a 'foodie', so I wouldn't normally venture out to a new place in town to try out new things. However, I do appreciate the gathering time with friends, so when a friend suggested to meet up in Banting, we scrambled our brains to think of a place to meet up. We even considered meet up at McDonald. Hahaha. We are not teenagers anymore, so we didn't keep track of the happening stuffs in our own place, then our younger siblings suggested the Backstreet Cafe near the Banting Bus Station. All four of us had never heard of this place until yesterday.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised with this cafe because it's in Banting. In just a few years ago, we needed to go to Klang to dine in this kind of cafe. Me and my friends chose this kind of eatery for the ambience, not for the food though. For food, we would go to the Korean restaurant, we are a fan of Korean food.

This cafe owner painted the walls with chalkboard paint and the menu was written on the wall. I think it's chalkboard paint because the trend was in rage lately. Maybe it's just normal paint in black colour. Anything is possible. 
Backstreet Café
Backstreet Café
One of the interesting decorations was the sink faucets in the toilet, it is a re-purposed garden spade. Hahaha! Good idea. And for the flooring, it's fake grass carpet, I think it's ok, at least it would adsorb the noises of the moving chairs. Personally though, not a fan of flooring that cannot be cleaned with water. When me and my friends reached the cafe, we were one of the earlier customers for the dinner slot. We actually wondered how the cafe could survive with that kind of volume. But, around 9pm, the cafe became quite crowded and I think all tables were taken up. Me and my friends were there from around 7pm to 10.30pm, so many things to talk and catch up. Hahaha!
Backstreet Café
For the food in this Backstreet Cafe, I would say it's quite good. The menu was only 2 pages, one for the food and one for the drinks, but the selections were quite varied. They even had the menu in Chinese version, Wow, it's a lot of hard work to translate from English. I even didn't know what is the Chinese word for latte (*^^)v. I had seafood spaghetti and my friends had the salads. I am the kind of person who need the carbohydrate! I think it's good, at least it came with two prawns, one mussel and small slices of squid and it's below RM10.
spaghetti
Another item to mention was the latte art. We did expect the green tea latte to come with the latte art. But, to our surprise, the hot chocolate came with the art too. The most important part was the cup was not small, so we had the satisfaction in volume, apart from the satisfaction on visual aspect.
Green Tea Latte
Hot Chocolate
Other than the main course, we did stay in the cafe for quite a long time, so we ordered two side dishes. One was the recommendation from the waitress, a pizza with some smoked duck slices. It's definitely better than the Pizza Hut's pizza. It's very fragrance and I think it tasted like bacon. However, a friend said that she did tasted a hint of duck meat. Well, she's the one with the more delicate tongue. For me, anything smoked would be the same, I couldn't differentiate it.
smoked duck pizza
After the first pizza, we ordered another pizza, I forgot the name, but it came with a extra cheese and few vegetables in top. Kind of cute. A friend was having flu and she said that the only thing she could smell from the pizza was the cheese. Hahaha! 
pizza with extra cheese
Well, maybe for my next gatherings, I will choose this place again. It's not that there are many choices in Banting anyway, but I hope that the food scene in Banting will become more vibrant and we will have more choices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment