Saturday 26 January 2013

Mind Our Japanese

In The Star, every week, there will be a column named "mind our English". I remembered that readers used to send photos of signs, banners, etc with wrong spelling or grammar error. It provides a good laugh and reminds myself not to make the same mistake.

When I went to Busan, Korea for a short trip. I saw signs with wrong Japanese words, so I took the photos. There are a lot of Japanese tourist there and most of the shopkeepers can speak Japanese. However, I think most understand conversational Japanese only, not the written words.

Below are the photos of wrong katagana 片仮名 (the one in green cloud) used in signboards near Busan Hotel.
karaoke カラオケ (the カ is wrong with one more dot)
morning set モーニングセット (the ソ is supposedly ン)
\When I started to learn Japanese, my teacher kept reminding us not to mix ン (n) and ソ (so) because both look quite the same. Well, this is a very good example!

No comments:

Post a Comment