Thursday 31 January 2013

A Thoughtful Package Design

I bought a packet of somen (そうめん 素麺) from supermarket. It tastes like birthday noodle (寿面 or meesuah in Hokkien) in Malaysia. Curious, I checked the info from Wikipedia, it is actually the same thing. However, the Japanese somen tastes better because it doesn't turn soggy fast. The Malaysian meesuah will turn soggy if left inside the soup after a short period. 

My Japanese colleagues told me that their mothers generation love to put fruits on somen. I told them I cannot imagine how it will taste like. For me, noodle must be eaten with something salty. 

Anyway, this article is about the package of the somen. Everytime I cook spaghetti, I had trouble to gauge the amount I had to grab, so I ended up with either too much or too little spaghetti left for my last serving. So, I am very delighted to see the package of this somen. It has a line gauge on the packaging for 4 individual servings. A very thoughtful design indeed. I could grab the more accurate amount of noodle with this design and not ended up with weird amount of noodle left!
noodle's packaging with a line gauge

No comments:

Post a Comment