Wednesday 9 March 2016

Bye Bye Rakuten Malaysia

Rakuten Malaysia has ceased operations from 1st March 2016. I am quite sad with the news. I started to use Rakuten Travel in Japan. I didn't have a credit card then and all the airlines that flew from Fukuoka to Malaysia (transit) then required a credit card to pay for the airfares. So, I researched around and found out that I could pay for the airfares in convenience shop if I bought the air ticket through Rakuten Travel. So, I bought a return ticket from Korean Air though Rakuten Travel.

Apart from air tickets, I booked bus tickets, hotels, dormitories, etc in Rakuten Travel. It's very convenient. A Malaysian friend of mine even asked a Japanese friend to help pay for her bookings in a convenience shop in Japan first and she paid her friend back after she reached Japan. Like the Rakuten Malaysia, for every payments done in Rakuten Travel, points would be added to the account and it could be used for the next payments. Although I booked a lot of travel related items in Rakuten Travel, I have never bought anything from Rakuten Japan. I did buy from Amazon Japan though.

Back to Malaysia three years ago, I was still not a fan of online shopping. However, one time, when I needed a bathroom rack and couldn't find it in the hardware store. Finally, I decided to go online. My first non travel related purchase online was a bathroom rack from Rakuten Malaysia!

Since then, I bought groceries, skin care, bags online. What a progression! Hahaha!

Before the CNY, I joined a Rakuten Malaysia "Count the Monkey" contest and won some Rakuten Super Points. It's not much, and I didn't have anything to buy at that moment. Since the points would become obsolete by the end of February, I decided to spend it on the UNICEF Inspired Gifts. I topped up some money and chose Polio Vaccines. The vaccines will be sent to those who needed it the most according to the UNICEF website. It's so convenient and that marks my final purchase from Rakuten Malaysia.
final points!
final purchase!
Rakuten is promoting the Rakuten Global Market now and gives out 3000 yen coupon for a 10000 yen order as a welcome offer. Well, I think I will give it a pass. There are so many online shops out there to explore!

1 comment:

  1. I just want to thank you for sharing your information and your site or blog this is simple but nice Information I’ve ever seen i like it i learn something today. Black seed oil

    ReplyDelete