Sunday 2 March 2014

Postcard

I was not the kind of person who would send out postcard during travel, however, my travel mates love to send postcards. So, I sent out a few postcards too, mainly to myself and my parents. Nowadays, when looking back at these postcards, reminiscence back the journeys, I feel calm.

In Japan, to send a postcard to a domestic address, one just need to buy a 50 yen stamp. To send out a normal postcard to another country, the stamp needed is a 70 yen stamp. Stamp is very easy to get in Japan, just go into any post-office (some even open on Sunday) or convenience store and ask for 'kitte' or 'sutanpu'. The funny thing is I always said the wrong word, instead of 'kitte', I would ask for 50yen or 70yen 'kippu', then the convenience store staff would look confuse and he or she would ask around, somehow, someone would be able to guess what I want, hahaha! 

*kitte = 切手 (stamp in Japanese)
*sutampu = the way stamp is pronounced in Japan
*kippu = 切符 (ticket in Japanese)

I sent the most postcards during my Hokkaido trip, well, that was winter and I spent my time mostly indoors, so I had time to buy and write postcards. Plus, I bought a sheet of Hokkaido themed stamps. It would be a waste if I didn't use it.
Postcards (Hokkaido)
Among all the postcards, the most special postcard is the wooden postcard. I got it from Station of Happiness in Obihiro. Since it is thicker and heavier than normal postcard, the value of stamp needed is 130 yen. Since the sheet of stamps I bought were all 80 yen per stamp, I used two 80 yen stamps. Initially, we asked the shopkeeper what's the value of stamp needed to send to Malaysia, then he told us he don't know but to send to Taiwan, the price is 130 yen. Since Taiwan and Malaysia are all foreign countries, we assumed the value should be 130 yen! Well, it managed to find its way to my home, so our assumption is correct.
wooden postcard
Below stamps are from the sheet of Hokkaido themed stamps. First, I wanted to send postcard using the correct stamp, like use the Hakodate stamp to send a postcard from Hakodate, then use the Asahiyama Zoo stamp to send a postcard after I watch the penguin walk, etc. However, I have to give up because I didn't go to all the places in the stamps. Finally, before I went to airport on the last day of the trip, I still have one postcard that I forgot to send, luckily the hotel front desk staff was willing to send it for me. 
come from a sheet of stamps
Next, I sent below two postcards during my Tokyo trip. The top one I got from Kaminarimon (a famous temple in Tokyo), while the below one from Kawaguchiko.
Postcards from Tokyo (top) and Yamanashi (below)
Then, my very memorable golden week trip. It was a nature viewing trip. Me and my travel mates went to Kamikochi, Tateyama Kurobe Alpine route, Mt. Fuji (until 5th Station only by car!), Tojinbo and etc. It can be reflected from the postcards. 
Postcards from Mt. Fuji, Kamikochi and Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route
Actually, I went to Kamiguchiko twice, once during my Tokyo trip and another during my Golden Week trip. Well, I went on different seasons. On both occasions, I had hard time to see the white cap of Mt. Fuji! I even changed my plan halfway, instead of Hakone, I went to 5th Station, all for the Mt. Fuji white cap.
Mt Fuji postcards
For the long postcards, the value of stamps needed are 90 yen. Well, I bought the postcard because it's special (long) and the post-office chop is interesting too. Since I sent it from 5th Station, a special chop with Mt. Fuji image was stamped on top of the stamp. 
Postcard from 5th Station Mt. Fuji
Sometimes I sent postcard because I want the particular stamp, like the one below. It's a stamp with the image of Mt. Fuji. Although the value of stamps needed was only 70 yen, I bought this 80 yen stamp because I want to keep it. 
Postcard from Kawaguchiko
In Sagaiminato, the whole town tourism is based on Gegege no Kitara, a manga character. So, the postcards sold in Sagaiminato were all Gegege no Kitara related too. Almost all the shops in that town sell postcards and stamps. So, even if one cannot find the convenience store or post-office, the stamp is very easy to source. 
Postcard from Sagaiminato
One thing to mention is they even provide a postbox with different stamp chops. So, instead of normal chop, one can even choose the chop he or she wants.
A Gegege no Kitaro chop on the stamp on Sagaiminato
the post box - there were various postage stamp chop, any chop you want, just throw into the holes you like!
Sometimes, after I bought the postcard and stamp and even finished writing on the postcard. I forgot to post it out. For this Okinawa postcard, finally I post it from the place I stayed. So, no Okinawa on the chop!
Postcard from Okinawa
Below four postcards are from my Osaka Kobe and Kyoto trip. The upper right one gave me a homey feeling. The upper left is a Sagano guide map, quite special. I remembered there's an artist who sold hand painted postcards outside the Weathercock House, on a paper, he wrote something like 'you can give any amount you want, but I hope it is at least 1000 yen'! That's funny.
Postcards from Osaka and Kyoto
The postcard below was sent during winter holiday too. I chose this postcard because I paid a lot of money to see this snow monsters and I had to endure the chilliness to see this.
Postcard from Yamagata, snow monsters
With this postcard sending, I also realise one thing, although I still know how to read Chinese, I don't know how to write many words anymore, using too much Windows IME! So, the postcards I sent home were all in English! Another thing is other people (my travel mates) found my handwriting difficult to read, so when we wrote postcards together, they would keep reminding me to at least make sure the address is legible. Hahaha! So far, all the postcards reached the intended recipients, so I think my handwriting is ok!
a postcard to parents

No comments:

Post a Comment