Sunday 30 March 2014

Make A Gif From Video Using VLC & PhotoScape

I am quite free today, so I decided to learn how to make a Gif from video. I have installed Photoscape in my computer already, however Photoscape can only make Gifs from pictures. So, I googled around, netizens provide a lot of ideas and tips. There are many online editors that are able to convert video file to Gif file directly, however I am afraid that those free editors are malware. Finally, I found out that VLC player can convert video file to multiple screenshots. I didn't have VLC player, so I downloaded and installed it in my computer. 

*I have confidence on VLC player because many people I know are using it.
my first Gif on wind up tin robot!
There are 2 options to screenshot in VLC
  1. one screenshot at a time
  2. multiple screenshots as the video file is running

One screenshot at a time
Click on the "Video" on the tool bar and then click "Take Snapshot".
one screenshot at a time
Multiple screen shot as the video file is running
Have to change the setting first
  • Click "tools" on the tool bar
  • Click "Preferences"
  • Choose "video" and change the "show settings" to "all"
  • Click "filters" under "video" 
  • Click "scene video filter" and save
  • Open the video file using VLC player (the screenshot will show up in the folder as the video is running.
change the settings in VLC player to get multiple screenshots
I chose option 2. It is quite easy and I got my pictures. Then, I used PhotoScape to make Gif from the pictures. I dragged the pictures into the Gif maker and saved the file. Done! My first Gif!
Make Gif using PhotoScape
*In the online tutorials for the VLC, some mentioned to set a folder for the screenshots to be stored in the settings, I didn't do that and it shows up in the same folder where I kept the original video file. So, if you cannnot find the pictures, you should set the folder first in the settings.
*After get the pictures, please don't forget to "reset preferences" to the original settings. Or else, everytime you open a video using VLC player, it will save all the multiple screenshots and your harddisk space will be full of screenshots!

No comments:

Post a Comment