Sunday 14 July 2013

My Phones

I got my first phone, the 'Indestructible Nokia 3310' in 2002. It costs around RM500++ when I bought it. I used it for four years before it got pick pocketed in Klang Bus Station. I was so furious with the pick pocket, I treasured the phone very much! I had to go to the Maxis Centre in KLCC to replace my SIM card, waste of time and money!
Nokia 3310 (the indestructible Nokia)-photo from Wikipedia
Since I was a student then and without much money to spend, I bought another Nokia phone, a Nokia 2600 for around RM200++. Back then, camera phones were starting to get prominence. Most of my friends were starting to use camera phones. However, I didn't think that I needed one that time. I used this phone until 2011. This phone is very hardy, no matter how many times I accidentally dropped it and the parts scattered around, after I assembled it back to one piece and switched 'on', it got back to normal operation. The battery life was quite good too, even after 7 years. I am a clumsy person and not so gadgets crazy, so I hold on to this phone until I got posted to Japan.
Nokia 2600
In Japan, I got my third phone, my first camera phone with a 3 megapixel camera. It's a Japanese flip phone, also known as Galapagos phone. Actually, by that time, smartphone was the norm in the market already, iPhone 4 was available that time. However, the minimum monthly fee was around 6000 yen. So, I chose the cheapest package, 980 yen per month and I paid 12000 yen for the white flip phone. Basically, the phone was used as alarm clock only, so sometimes, after one cycle of charge, the battery would last until two weeks before I had to charge it again. The phone would serve as phone when I went around Japan for travelling to call my travel mates, hotels, rental car companies, etc. When I was not travelling, it wouldn't ring at all. Hahaha! Too bad, this phone couldn't be use at all outside Japan.
Flip phone
After two years in Japan and back to Malaysia, I use back my old trusty 9 years old Nokia 2600, still have pretty decent battery life, just the keyboard started to become insensitive. After much thought, I decided to get myself a smartphone. I googled around, read comments, compared prices, and finally, I bought a HTC Desire X, a middle range  phone. First, I planned to subscribe to a data plan. I am always a very light phone user, before the availability of Maxis 365, my highest balance credit was more than RM100. So, I decided not to subscribe to data plan. I will only use Wifi at home or any available free Wifi. So far, after 2 months I owned a smartphone, I haven't have the urge to subscribe yet. Hahaha! My brother commented that "You might as well keep using your Nokia, without data plan, a smart phone is useless!"

Anyway, I haven't feel the advantage of owing a smartphone yet, I am not a facebook, tweeter, whatsapp junkie. So, will going to live with my prepaid phone plan for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment