Sunday 27 September 2015

Getting a Driving License in Kumamoto

I recalled my miserable driving tests in Kumamoto when I read the article below. I failed three times and only passed the test on my fourth attempt. I know some people who renewed the international license every year at the original home country and used it to drive in Japan. However, it's not really legal. I once heard from a former colleague who studied in Japan for his degree, he was almost deported back for driving with a international license after two years in Japan. Since he was a student, the judge gave him a lenience sentence which was only fines. So, he borrowed money and paid off the fines, he said he had bread only for almost a year to pay off the debts. So, better get the license the proper way.



First, I worked in Kumamoto City for a year and I took train to work. The second year, I had to transfer to Nakatsu in Oita 中津市、大分 which was not very convenient in terms of public transport. So, I had to take a driving test to drive in Japan. International driving licence is valid for the first year only. Since I had my original driving licence from Malaysia (pass on my second attempt because I forgot my seat belt the first time around), I could convert the license to a Japanese driving license, it is called 外国免許切替. However, for direct conversion, only a few countries are qualified, info here

For others, like a Malaysian driving license holder, I had to take a written test and driving test to convert my license to a Japanese license. It's a big discount compared to what the Japanese people had to do to get a fresh new driving license. To many Japanese, the written test was what they dreaded the most. It's a very difficult multiple questions test and many failed at first attempt. So, in Japan, there's tuition class for driving license written test. However, for this license conversion written test for foreign driving license holder, it's just a common sense 10 multiple choices questions. I personally found it easy. 

There are few steps before the actual test, there are details information here for those who wants to take the test in Kumamoto. For me, I did the below things. 
  1. Get a letter from Malaysia JPJ for my driving license record. (the issuance date of my first driving license). Conversion is not allowed if one received a license for the very first time within three months of coming to Japan, In that case, the person has to take the driving license normally in Japan. 
  2. Send my Malaysian driving license, photocopy of residence card and application form of Japanese translation of foreign driver's license to JAF for translation. Info here.
  3. After that, my HR personal helped to arranged for the appointment with the menkyo centre. 
  4. Before I took the actual test, I went to a driving school near the menkyo centre to learn a few tricks to pass the driving test. I went to two classes and almost 10000 yen gone. For this Toyofuku driving school, I practised at the driving school course. I heard from other Malaysians that in Oita, one could choose to practise at the actual driving test course, but it's much more expensive. The driving school instructor told me most of the items that the proctor would care. Although I tried very hard, there's one thing that I still not good at, which was driving close to the lane (around 30cm) when changing lane, for me, it's too near to the road curb. The instructor kept asking me to drive nearer, telling me that it's too far. 
  5. I brought along my passport, my Malaysian driving license, JAF Translation of foreign drivers license, residence card, Residency Certificate 住民票 (issued within the last six months), Inkan to the menkyo centre (the map here). I took my photo at the photo booth at the menkyo centre. Not to be forgotten, money too. The Kumamoto menkyo centre was not in the city centre, it's quite far from it and no train or tram services. The only way to go was to take bus or someone with car take you there.
  6. Initially, one staff (proficient in English) at the menkyo centre tested my eye sight by asking me the colour of the traffic light, I had trouble to name the green light, I was thinking to say "Ao" or "Midori", finally I just said the English word. After that, I took the written test. I pass the written test. 
  7. Then, lunch time. There's a canteen and convenience shop there. I ate there. After that, I walked on the course. This was really recommended when I read about getting the license in Japan. For this license conversion driving test, there are two routes. I forgot the route was decided by the proctor or depends on the day one took the test.
  8. On my first attempt, there were three of us. I was the only foreigner. The other two were Japanese that got their driving license in US. First, one of the Japanese started the test, then the second Japanese and I was the last to take the test. Only the first Japanese pass the test, he was in his fourth attempt and he cried. I was so shocked with that! Anyway, the proctor told us what went wrong, and this proctor told me that I kept stopping at the junction. Well, I thought that we needed to stop at all the junctions. I only knew from that moment, only stopped at the junction with the sign "STOP". The proctor also told me some other things that I didn't do it right. Then, I went home.
  9. I forgot the exact date, maybe the next day, I went back to the menkyo centre to take the driving test again. It's not so expensive to retake the test, but it's very time consuming. One had to reach the menkyo centre before 11.30am and went into the office to request for retest. The test would commence after lunch. So, basically the whole day gone. For my second attempt, there were two of us. The other was the Japanese guy that fail the test with me the other day. He got his license from California and he told me that there're fewer people in Kumamoto who wanted to get the license converted. In Fukuoka, the queue was long. Then, testing time, the Japanese guy was called to the driving test and I was called too, He drove with proctor on the passenger seat and I sat at the rear seat when he was taking the test. Later, vice versa. After that, the proctor announced that the Japanese guy passed the driving test and I failed again! Well, the guy told me to at least make an effort to drive nearer to the road side when situation called for it, like changing lane, parking and turning. He said that was the reason he finally passed the test on third attempt. 
  10. Well, I think I stopped for few days before trying for the third time. Needless to say, I failed again. I think I was too anxious that time. This time, my driving test partner was a Japanese girl who took her driving test to get her first driving license. The driving test route was totally different from mine, it's longer and the she had to drive outside the menkyo centre too. She really said out loud all the directions, example when turning left, she would said"migi 右, yoshi良し, hidari 左, yoshi 良し", then only turn left. It means that when turning left, one has to check the traffic at the right hand side first, then only check the left hand side and then only turn. I felt thirsty for her. 
  11. Then, for my fourth attempt, this time around, no partner, so a staff from the menkyo centre sat at the rear seat when I was taking the test. I was actually ready for my fifth or sixth attempt. I didn't feel any differences between my first three driving test with this one, but I finally passed the test. A huge relief! Maybe I was prepared to fail and finally became not too anxious. When not anxious, the proctor was ready to give me a pass when he saw that I was driving stably. 
  12. After passing the test, I paid for the license and had my photo taken by the staff. I tried to smile but the staff asked me to keep my mouth shut, cannot see the teeth. Finally, I got the license and I was ready to move. 
Funny thing was when I finally passed the test, the weather was so bad, it was raining so heavily that the rain resembled a rain in Malaysia. The rain in Japan was normally not so heavy. Anyway, I was so happy that the weather didn't make me depressed. I felt for the people who took the motorcycle test though, although it's raining, the test still proceeded and all of them were drenched by rain. Anyway, my heart was lalala that time. So happy!

A dear colleague helped to get the below instructions on proper driving method to pass the Kumamoto foreign driving license conversion driving test. I personally think that it's better to go to the class at the driving school to get some experience first before taking the test, it increased the chance to pass the test faster. However, a friend who was pregnant when she took the test passed the driving test at the first attempt in Kanto area. She told me maybe because she was pregnant that time. Hahaha! 
the correct way to drive for the Course 1 for the Kumamoto 外国免許切替 test
the map for the Course 1 for the Kumamoto 外国免許切替 test
the correct way to drive for the Course 2 for the Kumamoto 外国免許切替 test
the map for the Course 2 for the Kumamoto 外国免許切替 test

No comments:

Post a Comment