Wednesday 30 May 2012

Golden Week 2012 - Half Day In The Traditional Kanazawa 金沢

29th April 2012

Reached Komatsu Station, I took normal train to Kanazawa because it only took 38 minutes and 480 yen, while express train cost 1720 yen and took 18 minutes. For me, 20 minutes was nothing compared to the money. So, normal JR train it is. This was the first time I travel alone (although only for half a day) which was not my turf.
the express train bound for Toyama (it looks like shinkansen)
After reaching Kanazawa, I had to search for coin locker, but couldn't find one. So, I went out to buy the one day pass for the Kanazawa Loop Bus. Then, went back to the station, luckily, second time around, I found a coin locker. The loop bus was kind of cute, managed to catch 2 colours.
in front of Kanazawa station, kind of special (can fight with Kyoto station!)
Kanazawa Station
Kanazawa Loop Bus 金沢周游バス
My first stop was Higashi Chahya ひがし茶屋, it was an old traditional merchant town. The buildings were kind of special. Since Kanazawa was famous with gold flakes 金箔, I bought some oil blotting paper made with some gold flakes, it was kind of expensive, 1 pack of 5 cost 1500 yen, however it make a nice gift. I bought 3. There were many shops with gold related products. However, the price was very "nice" too! Just good for observation, hahahah!
Higashi chahya ひがし茶屋
ひがし茶屋
ひがし茶屋

After that, I took the loop bus to kenrokuen 兼六園. When I got off the bus, all the people dispersed in different direction, I don't know which way to follow so I just follow the direction where most people coming from, where I assumed that they had just finished touring the place. However, it was the wrong direction, it was parking lot for tour bus. So, I walked back to the bus stop and walking all around, trying to find my way. 

around the Kenrokuen
I actually walked from the Kenrokuen bus stop to 21st Century Museum and turn back before I found my way into Kenrokuen, what a long way! To my surprise, the sakura in Kanazawa was still blooming, so nice! The sakura is of another type because they have many petals compared to the one I saw in Kumamoto.

Kenrokuen entrance

Sakura welcomes me to the Kenrokuen!
Kenrokuen
Kenrokuen
Kenrokuen
Kenrokuen
Kenrokuen
Kenrokuen was like a traditional Japanese garden, almost same with the Okayama's Korakuen. Nonetheless, it was beautiful with all those plants, scrubs and lakes. But, not so special. After that, I crossed a bridge and went to Kanazawa Castle 金沢城, it was reconstructed. I just walked around and left.
this is the bridge that connects Kenrokuen and the Kanazawa Castle
Kanazawa Castle金沢城
Kanazawa Castle
Next, I went to 21st Century Museum, which in my opinion, other than the see through pool,  totally wasted my money. I was not a person who knew abstract art. I liked beautiful things that was beautiful, not some thing that requires me to think the hidden meaning and looked not pleasant to the eyes.
21st Century Museum
around the 21st Century Museum
Shrine opposite the 21st Century Museum
the see through pool (top)
the see through pool (bottom)
inside the museum
outside the museum
After that, I went to Kanazawa Station to take train to Toyama. Toyama was famous with Hotaru Ika 蛍烏賊 (firefly squid). My other 2 friends went to the Museum of Firefly Squid that afternoon. So, for the dinner, we asked for a bowl of firefly squid, it was kind of expensive, I think it cost around 600 yen for that tiny portion. However, the taste was quite nice. The saddest thing was I forgot the last check in time, so when I went to the hotel, no one was at the counter, luckily my friends all checked in already before they went to Hotaru Ika museum, or else 3 of us will have to sleep in the street. I shared a bed with cissy. I wondered why the hotel did not call me when I did not showed up! I tried my best to sleep because we had to wake up early to catch the 5.42 a.m. train to Tateyama 立山. 

Firefly squid 蛍烏賊
forget what is this, but it is one of the famous food in Toyama
Below were the photos my friend took from the Firefly Squid Museum. The squids inside the museum were catch every morning 3 a.m., so if it was not the season of the squid, the only thing can be seen from the museum was just information and photos. 

the squid will only illuminate when it was frightened.
"please do not eat, if you want, go to canteen." I wondered who ate these right there before.
Firefly Squid 蛍烏賊
Click here for my itinerary!

Day 1 : Hikone & Dinosour Museum & Ojima, Tojinbo & Eiheiji
Day 2 : Kanazawa
Day 3 : Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route
Day 4 : Kusatsu Onsen & Around Matsumoto City
Day 5 : Kamikochi
Day 6 : Kawaguchiko
Day 7 : Mt. Fuji & Around Shimizu Area
Day 8 : Hamamatsu Matsuri 1 & Hamamatsu Matsuri 2 & Meiji Mura

No comments:

Post a Comment