Thursday 19 February 2015

The Good Husband of Zebra Drive by Alexander McCall Smith

Happy Chinese New Year!

I finished the lunar year with a book by Alexander McCall Smith, "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive". Well, the reason I could finish the book was due to the demise of my desktop computer's CPU yesterday. I tried to restore it and re-format it, both fail, finally the error that came out on the monitor was "BOOTMGR is missing". I gave up and read. Now I am typing on a "hybrid" computer, I used my old laptop (the monitor was damaged long time ago) as CPU, and I considered my problem solved. Hahaha! Actually I thought of buying a new computer, but I just changed all four tyres of my car, a big expenditure. So, I will live with my current computer until I really need to buy a new one. 

Anyway, back to the book. This time around, The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency had some interesting cases. Mma Ramotswe was asked by her cousin to investigate three cases of death that happened in his hospital on the same time each week. While, Mma Ramotswe husband, Mr Matekoni took up a affair outside marriage case himself. Then, Mma Makutsi investigated a theft.

Mma Ramotswe finally found out that the patients death was due to an unfortunate act by the cleaner who unplugged the medical appliances that sustained the lives of the patients. However Mma Ramotswe decided not to tell the truth and judged the deaths as by natural causes because the deceased were old people with no dependants. Mmmm, it's sad. Sad on the sense that the 'culprit' was not a bad person at all, she was just doing her job and to me, it's the lack of knowledge that caused that. Safety is very important, no matter where and when.

The other two cases were funnier. After a brief spell of resignation, Mma Makutsi returned to work and tasked to investigated a theft in a printing company. She identified the person who might be the one who stole the supplies but she didn't have any proof. After getting some ideas from Mma Ramotswe, she suggested the owner of the printing company to trust the good in humanity. The owner gave the suspect the key to the supplies. Instead of doing good with the trust given, the suspect cleared off the supplies and ran off. LOL! Well, this truly proved that the suspect was indeed a criminal.

On the affair case, Mr Matekoni recognized the wrong man, he didn't follow the husband of his client, instead he followed the client's husband's assistant. So, it turned out that the client's husband didn't have an affair, but during the tailing on the wrong person, Mr Matekoni unearthed some shady dealings of that person and told the client's husband. Well, Mr Matekoni did help to prevent a serious misconduct, though not what he was supposed to investigate in the first place. Hahaha!

A good read!
The Good Husband of Zebra Drive by Alexander McCall Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment