Sunday 20 July 2014

A Short Trip To Taman Negara

12th to 14th October 2013

15th October 2013 was a public holiday. Initially, me and my friends were thinking on a 4-day trip in Taman Negara. However, after much considerations, we decided to just have a 3-day trip. Well, since we were not interested in camping out in the middle of jungle, 3 days in Taman Negara were more than enough. To simplify the trip planning, we just booked everything from NKS. We chose the cheapest package, around RM150.00 per person. It includes 2 nights hostel stay, meals, tour guide and the transportation in Taman Negara. 

First Day
On the 12th October morning (a fine Saturday), I met up with my friends for breakfast before departing. It will be a long ride to Taman Negara from Selangor. Then, we tried to pump fuel when we passed by Telok Panglima Garang. However, before we entered the first gas station, the worker there was waving to us, signalling us to leave, so we thought that the gas station was running out of RON95, so we left and drove to another gas station. The next gas station was quite empty too and a staff walked out to tell us that the area was experiencing power outage, so they couldn't sell us anything. Then, my friend got a call from the factory. The power outage affected the factory we worked too, so not only the production line was affected, even the system was all down, so even though there were many finished goods, none of the stuffs could be shipped out. Then, another friend got a call from his boss, asking him to access the situation. Both my friends answered that we were going for a holiday and out of town, not able to support. Coincidentally, my trip-mates this time were all company colleagues, luckily, all 12 came from different groups. Hahaha! Our bosses could find other members to help. 

When we reached Klang, there was no power outage problem, so finally we were able to feed the car. Then, we met with others in Klang and 3 cars proceeded to Taman Negara. It was a really long drive, so we chatted the whole time, we almost missed out the Jerantut exit due to our heated gossiping, close call. It was almost 2 pm then, so we decided to stop at Jerantut town for lunch, we couldn't find a restaurant that we all agreed on, so we had our lunch at KFC instead. 

Then, we continued our journey to Taman Negara, from Jerantut, there was road jammed, so we were stuck in the jam for quite some time. Apparently, a lorry overturned and it caused the traffic to come to a standstill. We reached Taman Negara later than expected, thanks to the jam. Actually, another route to Taman Negara from Jerantut is by boat for three hours, I personally think that it's quite long, more convenient if by car. 

Well, truth to be told, when I reached there, I felt a bit disappointed. There's only one big concrete signboard with "Selamat Datang Taman Negara" and nothing else. Well, I didn't expect that it would be so basic. Anyway, we took a group photo in front of the signboard as a proof we reached Taman Negara. 

Then, we called the PIC of the tour operator. The person just told us to directly go to the hostel and a guide would meet us at a floating restaurant after we had our dinner. So we just walked to the hostel after the drivers parked the cars at the designated parking area. Well, the wooden hostel was very near to the river, from the verandah, we could see the river and floating restaurants. Once we settled in the hostel, it rained. So we had no where to go and just relaxed at the verandah area, listened to the rain. We got three rooms, one room for 4 males and two rooms for 8 females. There were two double decker beds in every rooms. Our rooms had no aircond, only fans because some reviews commented that during the night, Taman Negara can be very cold. Plus, it's cheaper without aircond.  
Welcome board to Taman Negara
my first impression on Taman Negara
By 6.30 pm, dinner time, we went to one of the floating restaurants for our dinner. It's included in the package. Well, dinner was chicken again. I had chicken rice as breakfast, KFC as lunch and chicken again for dinner. So sick of chicken! 

During dinner, the restaurant staff showed us a video about Taman Negara. Well, it's like a documentary video one could watch on TV. After that, guides and boats started to show up and called out names. One by one, people left the restaurant and boarded the boat. Our group was the last one to be called. We met our guide and he brought us to the other side of the river for the night jungle walk. Well, the Mutiara Resort was on this side and the chalets looked very cosy and nice, but of course the price was 3 to 4 times the place we were staying. 

Mmm, the things we managed to see on this night jungle walk were small snakes, insects (the type we could see at home), frogs and wild boars. Nothing special, but it was a good walk near the nature. We went to Tahan Hide, however since the observatory (overlooking a salt lick and waterhole) was very close to civilization (many human beings and developments), the guide mentioned that it's very rare that any animals would stop by to get their sodium. But, if we were to take the package to camp inside the deep forest (It would take few days), he guaranteed that we could see big mammals (elephants, tigers, etc). Well, that can be a reason for me to come back to Taman Negara if I feel adventurous enough. After night walk, we went back to hostel. The night was still young then, too early to sleep, so we crammed at one room and talked until midnight before calling it a day.

*During the night, the weather became too cold that we had to switch off the fan. Luckily, I wore long pants and long sleeve shirt, or else I wouldn't able to sleep well. 
Floating restaurants
floating restaurant
floating restaurants - night view

Second Day

Well, woke up and fight for toilet and bathroom. There were many people who stayed in this hostel. Then, went to the same floating restaurant to eat breakfast. The morning was foggy, so we couldn't see far. Then we left for jungle trekking and canopy walkway. Like the night before, the guide brought us to the destination with boat. It's just a short boat ride.
foggy Taman Negara
From the small jetty, we trekked to the canopy walkway "entrance". The guide joked that initially the canopy walkway was meant for bird watchers, however since a lot of fake bird watchers came for this canopy walkway, it was opened for all. Especially now that there were very few birds to watch. I felt exited to walk on the canopy walkway, my first experience on canopy walkway was in FRIM Bukit Kepoing, I was so scared to enjoy the view. Now that I got older, the fear subsided a bit and I could enjoy it. Along the way, the guide explained stuffs to us, about the insects, trees, resin, wood, etc.

I didn't bring my camera for this trip, all photos were taken with my HTC Desire X, well, without my camera, I could actually focus more on the sceneries. Yeah! With all the walking, trekking, I was too exhausted to take photo anyway.
canopy walkway
view from canopy walkway
canopy walkway
After the canopy walkway, we trekked to the top of Bukit Terisek. Well, I was just happy that after that, it would be all going back down, no more tiring trekking up. I actually injured myself during the trekking, my leg hit a branch and that area was swollen for whole one week after the trip.
view from a higher point in Taman Negara (taken at the Bukit Terisek)
After the jungle trekking, they sent us back to the floating restaurant for lunch. Then, we need to wait for two hours before the next activity. The guide asked us to change into something that it's ok to get wet for the afternoon activity. So, I changed into slippers and decided to leave my phone, wallet in the room. Some still wanted to take photo, so they brought along their cameras and the guide promised to take care of that. 

First, we visited Orang Asli village. Well, I didn't like that. I felt like we intruded into their home. So, I just moved outside the common area, I didn't peek into their houses and I felt it's rude to take photos of the people there. The guide explained to us about the culture of the aboriginal people. One interesting fact is their funeral rites, tree burial. I think the concept is around the same with the sky burial. After that, they showed us the way to light up the fire using just simple tools from nature and we got a chance to use a blow pipe. 

Then, the most exiting activity "Shooting the Rapids". Initially, I didn't understand what's the meaning of "shooting the rapids", now I understood. The guide and the boat man brought us to the section of river where the water flow was very strong and they purposely tilt the boat and used the paddle to splash the water towards us. I was drenched from head to toe, we all were. I make sure that my mouth was kept shut because I didn't want the water to enter my body. It's quite difficult because the force was quite strong, I accidentally drank some of the river water. Well, I didn't get sick from it. I knew that the water is yellowish due to the sentiment from the soil, but I couldn't get pass the feeling that the clean water should be crystal clear.

After this very exiting activity, we were sent back to the hostel to clean ourselves. Initially, we booked the night safari tour with the guide, however, due to the drizzles, we cancelled the tour. I felt sorry for the guide, he prepared everything and we cancelled it due to the rain. Since we had nothing to do for the night, everybody slept early. 
rainy night (floating restaurants seen from the verandah of the hostel)

Third Day
Most of the people who stayed in the hostel left the day before, so me and my friends were the only group left. We had our last meal in Taman Negara and left too. Our first plan was to go to Lata Berkoh on the third day, however, decided to forgo this due to some people said that it's too 'exiting'. 

Well, since we had to pass by Bentong on our way home, a friend of mine suggested that we went to a famous restaurant in Bentong for lunch.  Too bad the restaurant was closed on Monday. Our group split to have lunch in different restaurants because after 2 days of chicken, I really can't have another chicken meal, I had Pan Mee in a normal coffee shop with few friends and others had chicken rice at a restaurant where a lot of people were queuing up, must be a very famous shop. I tried Bentong ginger tea, it's not bad.

After lunch, continued the journey home. After doing the laundry, the end of my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment