Friday 9 August 2013

Paying with Large Denomination Bills and Small Denomination coins

Read something interesting on Nikkan-Spa, according to a poll conducted by the website, one of the things that the cashier in the convenience store hates is customer paying with 10000 yen bills! Especially during rush hour or during night time when the cash register is short of 1000 yen bills. 

Another survey among restaurant cashiers shows that they dislike receiving coins for payment. It's inconvenient during rush hour. 

Well, this reminds me of my cashier days around 10 years ago. I worked as a cashier in a supermarket while waiting for my university entrance letter. Apart from meeting a lot of interesting and good people, I met many quirky and difficult customers. I can really relate with the cashiers from the survey.

Number one dislike is customers who bought small stuff (cheap, mainly) that costs less than RM5 and paid with RM100. I think their objective was to get small change, but that would cause trouble for the cashier later. The supermarket would only provide 10 pieces of RM10 note, 10 pieces of RM5 note, 100 pieces of RM1 note and coins worth RM50 every morning as a start up. (*Mmmm, not sure whether this is the correct amount or not, it was kind of long long time ago, but almost there). In a scenario like I mentioned above, I would run out of small change fast and getting a replenishment of small change was not easy, had to wait for the chief cashier! If there's no customer waiting in the queue, I wouldn't mind the wait, but it's not pretty when the customers started to show 'the face' to everybody! 

Number two dislike is the customers who paid with small denomination coins. In this case, with 1 cent coins. I met a few customers who intended to pay with a bag full of 1 cent coins. Initially, I didn't know that payment limit for coins under 50 cents is RM2. So, I actually counted that bag of 1 cent coins, I think there were more than RM10 (more than 1000 pcs of 1 cent coins)! Many customers turned to other counters to pay when they noticed that I actually counted that. The second time I encountered customer who intended to pay with 1 cent, my boss noticed that and told me that maximum acceptable 1 cent coins is RM2. Ahhhhhhhh! After that, I just refused the rest of the 1 cent coins payment after I counted until 200 pieces of 1 cent coin and asked for larger denomination bills. 
now demonetized 1 cent coin
Come to think of it, I have never encountered people who try to pay with bag full of 5 cents, 10 cents or even 50 cents. However, I met many people who paid with stacks of RM1 notes. I don't mind RM1 notes though. I think those who paid with RM1 notes were food stall traders who received a lot RM1 notes, so they were forced to pay with that. 

*Now that 1 cent coin is being demonetized by government and all payment rounded up to 5 cents, I wondered nowadays, is there any people try to pay with bag full of 5 cent coins? Hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment