Sunday 13 January 2013

Winter Holiday in Hokkaido (1)

28th Dec 2012

In Japan, winter holiday is the peak season for travel. So, most are expensive. Before I go back to Malaysia, I really wanted to go to Hokkaido. So, when my friends planned to go there, I quickly said yes! First I wanted to take night flight on 28th Dec to Tokyo from Kitakyushu, then take the next morning earliest flight to Hakodate 函館 (our first stop in Hokkaido). However, after adding everything up, the flight alone costs more than 40k yen. After some calculations, I decided to take leave on 28th Dec and fly to Sapporo on 28th, I saved around 10k yen. 

Once I reached ShinChitose Airport 新千歳空港, I took train to Minami Chitose 南千歳, then express train to Hakodate. One thing I did not expect was it's so hot inside the train and the buildings, I actually sweated! The temperature differences between outdoor and indoor was too big! So, advice here, wear layer ed of clothes.

Anyway, I had my first ekiben 駅弁 (lunch box sold in train). Not as delicious as I thought, I think for storage purpose, they made the whole thing dry. I had to keep drinking tea to finish that lunch box.
minced crab lunch box sold on the express train from Sapporo to Hakodate
駅弁 (札幌↔函館)
Then, reached Hakodate on around 6pm. I checked into a business hotel called Hotel Plaza 函館プラザホテル. Before I checked in, the front desk actually called to ask whether I want Japanese or Western style breakfast. Then, when I got into the room, I felt so warm and touched. They wrote a hand written note asking me to take care of the health due to the heavy snow and all. I knew that the note was one of the copies that the hotel sent to everybody, the only differences is the name and place of origin. However, it is a hand written note! We don't really get that kind of notes anymore, the most are printed notes! I gave the hotel a 5.0 (full points) on the Rakuten review for service!
warmed by a hand written note!
For dinner, I bought onigiri from a convenience shop near the hotel. Ah, it's snowy all around and slippery. It's easier to walk on snow than icy road. 

29th Dec 2012

Woke up after receiving a SMS from my friend telling me that they reached Hakodate Airport. So, had my breakfast and checked out to meet them.
Good morning, Hakodate!
Day 1 & 2: Hakodate
Day 7 & 8: Obihiro

No comments:

Post a Comment