Tuesday 14 January 2014

Quartet and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Just finished watching 'Quartet', a movie whose the leading actors and actresses were not young people. And the plot focused entirely in a retirement home. In this movie, the residents in the retirement home tried to raise money from an annual gala to keep the home going. Well, at the end, they succeeded, of course!

I watched another movie revolves around retirement home too , 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel'. It's about retirees who couldn't afford to retire in United Kingdom and were lured by an advertisement to retire in India. The cost is lower in India, so, these retirees just sign up and flew to India.

For me, these two movies weren't about old actors or actresses, but it's about growing old without enough money, it's so scary! I worked in the private sector, so it means that I have only EPF to count on to after I retire. I tried to diversify my income, I bought mutual fund, and so far, I have been losing money. Shares, with the horrible up and down trend, I don't think I can rely on it for my retirement. The only thing that I can think of is to buy a house, service the loan for and it will be mine after 30 years, at least I don't have to worry about house rent then. But, with my current level of salary and the sky-rocketing house prices, I doubt that I can get a loan. Ahhh, I hate all those people who speculate on properties, they drive up the prices!
Quartet (photo from Wikipedia)
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (photo from IMDB)

No comments:

Post a Comment