Friday 13 December 2013

KFC Instead of Turkey for Chritsmas

The Star Metro Central highlights that turkey may not be easily available during Christmas time due to stringent halal certification. When I read about that, I am thinking that even if turkey is not available, KFC is abundant here, they can learn from the Japanese where the Christmas dinner is often made of KFC set meals.

When I first heard that Japanese eat KFC for Christmas, I felt strange, although I am not a Christian, I strongly associate Christmas with turkey. But, it's true, even weeks before Christmas, posters on the Christmas Set Meals could be seen around the KFC Japanese stores. A Japanese colleague even told me that sometimes, people queued for hours for this, Wow!

I went to the KFC Japan website and there are so many Christmas Special to choose from. Some are strictly booking based, while some can be bought from the store directly. The most popular one is the "Party barrel original パーティバレルオリジナル", it's limited too! I am not a fan of the fried chicken, but the cake looks really nice!
Party barrel original パーティバレルオリジナル
Other than that, there's the premium series. One of the items seems to be a good substitute to the roast turkey for Christmas though. The "premium roast chicken プレミアムローストチキン" looks like something that will appear on a warm family Christmas dinner.
premium roast chicken プレミアムローストチキン
The "Christmas Menu Variety" series just consist of fried chicken, fried chicken and fried chicken, although one can choose from S pack, A pack, B pack, C pack and Pair Pack. The side menu has one special drink, which is Chanmerry シャンメリー, I thought it's an alcohol drink, then I googled more, ohhh, it's a kind of carbonated non alcohol drink that tastes like champagne, no wonder in the Chiebukuro forum, people said it's ok to let kids drink Chanmerry, it's not illegal! Hahaha, I know there's sparkling juice, but I just knew about this Chanmerry, so interesting!
Chanmerry シャンメリー
From a article from about.com, it seems that the advertisement from KFC in 1970s was so successful that it became a tradition for Japanese to eat KFC for Christmas. I am not a fan of KFC and I am still waiting for the powerful advertisement to convert me. Hahaha! Or KFC Malaysia can take a leaf out of KFC Japan and make Malaysians eat KFC for Chirstmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment